Jim Peters, Managing Director and Head of SierraConstellation Partners’ Performance Improvement practice, has a deep history as an operating, strategy, and commercial executive with a practice focused in developing and implementing business strategies, improving business performance, and advising and supporting business transactions, particularly in and around private equity investments. Jim has significant experience supporting primary organizations and financial sponsors in a wide range of industries.
Prior to joining SCP, Jim served as Director, Partner and CEO of Enovation Partners in Philadelphia, PA where he focused on issues of power, natural gas, and infrastructure for US clients. Prior to Enovation Partners, Jim has held partner level roles at both McKinsey & Co., and AlixPartners, among others. He has also had experience as an entrepreneur at FRAQUA, Inc., and most recently with Intersect Energy, LLC.
Away from work, Jim enjoys golfing, bourbon and a good cigar. Though, his biggest passion is spending time with his wife Chris and their four kids and two amazing grandkids.
- Led development of a comprehensive intelligent inspection (Digital inspection) program for gas division of a major utility focusing on improved inspection workflow and effectiveness, data management, crew productivity, and contractor management (3 similar projects).
- Conducted diligence for numerous potential deals for both private equity and principals. Recent examples include:
- LDC due diligence for a strategic buyer of a $5B integrated utility.
- Market and synergy estimation for multiple energy efficiency transactions for a PE buyer.
- Developed and executed a continuous improvement program, and increased productivity on key early phase processes at a multi-billion-dollar chemical plant development site through planning, oversight, and KPI development at craft level.
- Improved productivity by 24% with 30 days through the implementation of vigorous strategies.
- Optimized “tool time” at mine-face by 30 minutes per day at an underperforming mine in North America through improved oversight and KPI management at craft level.
- Identified, planned, and implemented initiatives to achieve $130 MM in EBITDA improvement (over target run rate of $100 MM) for an internet utility infrastructure provider in less time than planned in acquisition case. Won Forrester Award for Merger Integration Strategy of the year.
- Reduced cost structure of high-performance computer manufacturer from roughly $750MM upon arrival by $150 MM.
- Rationalized product lines, redesigned salesforce structure, optimized operations, and prioritized R&D resulting in successful restructuring and enhanced profitability.
- Optimized processes to reduce costs of distressed CLEC by roughly 10% while putting more sales personnel in place, implementing a metrics-oriented environment, and consolidating separate businesses.
- Efforts allowed the restructuring of roughly $250MM in debt and ownership shares.
- Reduced WC (Inventories) by 20%, six months ahead of schedule, for a contract electronics manufacturer through a combination of S&OP implementation (forecasting), E&O process changes, and implementation of practical lean manufacturing principles.
- Conducted a service delivery redesign pilot and rollout for a multi-billion-dollar service company to focus on customer requirements as well as asset productivity leading to significant cost and churn reduction.
- Estimated impact over $300 million/year.
- Conducted year-long process supporting privatization of a portion of a NOC, consisted of evaluating the entire business to determine strategic assets (to be kept) as well as those to be sold, packaging for sale, and identifying potential international buyers for the assets.
- Led a cost reduction/revenue enhancement process for a major E&P division to identify ideas and implement them as well as put in place performance measurement and management tools to monitor progress. Avoided asset shut-in, and, eventually purchased adjoining assets based on its superior cost position.
- Conducted due diligence for global chemical company on a merger of equals transaction. Assessed investment opportunity, target capabilities, and core integration issues to unlock value in the acquisition.