Carl Moore, Managing Director and Head of the Dallas region at SierraConstellation Partners, has over 20 years of experience in distressed investing, private equity portfolio management, and the provision of advisory services to underperforming companies and companies in transition.
Prior to joining SCP, Carl had a 15-year career in the private equity, distressed investment and restructuring groups at Highland Capital Management in Dallas. Most recently, Carl served as the Co-Head of Highland’s Private Equity group managing a portfolio of 7 industrial and healthcare companies with a collective enterprise value of $700M. During and after the financial crisis, Carl co-managed a team of legal and investment professionals that led credit restructuring, amendment and related negotiations for the firm’s $25B+ leveraged loan and high-yield bond portfolio.
Prior to joining Highland, Carl practiced law as an associate with the law firms Brobeck, Phleger and Harrison and Looper, Reed & McGraw with a focus on financing and M&A transactions.
Carl graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BA in the Plan II Honors Program and a BBA in Finance, and then received a JD from the University of Houston Law Center. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas, and was licensed as a Certified Public Accountant (currently inactive).
Relevant Industry Expertise
Aerospace & Defense
Industrials & Manufacturing
Restaurants & Food Services
Technology & Telecom
Transportation & Logistics
Download Carl’s vCard
- Served as CRO of GDC Technics, a Fort Worth aerospace company focused on complex interior modifications and connectivity solutions for wide-body aircraft. SCP helped the client navigate a contentious bankruptcy process during which it completed an expedited transition into two new lines of business, settled a major lawsuit with a former contract counterparty, and sourced exit financing from a sponsor-backed customer that supported its post-emergence business plan.
- Served as Interim Management for a Dallas-based distributor of fuel and lubricants. The client faced significant pressure from fluctuating commodity prices, customer concentration in oilfield service clients, and a thinly-staffed central management team. SCP improved reporting and internal controls, led communications and negotiations with the client’s main vendor and asset-based lender, and assisted the sourcing and onboarding of a permanent CFO.
- Served on a SCP team that was the CRO for a Silicon Valley-based digital medicine company. In addition to customary bankruptcy-related matters, oversaw an extensive IP sale and technology transfer process to a former strategic partner.
- Served as Chairman of the Board of a major chauffeured transportation portfolio company. Took an operational role in efforts related to the transition from an independent operator to employee business model and related litigation in several jurisdictions, as well as a comprehensive strategic and SG&A overhaul resulting in significant EBITDA improvement.
- Served as Board member and worked with investment professionals and portfolio company management team to prepare a healthcare DME company for sale under an expedited time frame and intensely competitive industry environment. Managed multi-party negotiations with the Seller’s stakeholder group and a foreign strategic buyer. The sale resulted in significant value realization in the face of rapidly deteriorating subsector dynamics.
- As Chairman of a development stage medical device company, led team that overhauled the finance function as well as provided operational guidance for its commercialization efforts. Led negotiation for distribution agreement with, and ultimate sale to, a major medical device company.