John Halloran, a Director at SierraConstellation Partners out of New York, provides financial, operational, and strategic solutions to underperforming companies and companies undergoing transition. He has over eight years of professional experience in management consulting, investment management in the private equity industry, and advisory roles in both in and out of court restructuring matters.
John’s industry experience includes diverse exposure, such as pharmaceutical/biotechnology developers, consumer-facing brands, retailers, and distributors, media & entertainment providers, and information technology services and platforms.
Prior to joining SCP, John was an investor with Omaha Beach Capital in New York. There, he supported management of private equity investment vehicles, with a focus on underwriting lower- and middle market transactions. He began his career as a management consultant with Booz Allen Hamilton’s Strategic Innovation Group in Washington, D.C.
In 2023, John won the M&A Advisor’s Emerging Leader Award, which recognizes leading M&A, financial and turnaround professionals who have reached a significant level of success while still under the age of 40.
In 2023, John was also recognized with colleagues by the Global M&A Network’s 15th Annual Turnaround Atlas Awards for the SCP team’s leadership of NewAge, Inc. in the category of Chapter 11 Restructuring of the Year (sm).
John holds a B.S. and M.S. degree in Political Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has earned the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation and is a member of the Turnaround Management Association and the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors.
Relevant Industry Expertise
- Chief Restructuring Officer and Liquidating Trustee Support to a wholesale distributor of beer, wine, spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages where he facilitated extensive transaction diligence for its acquisition by one of the world’s largest brewing companies and assisted the Liquidating Trustee in managing the satisfaction of all company obligations during its wind down post-close.
- Financial advisor to a clinical stage (pre-revenue), publicly traded biopharmaceutical company where he conducted extensive marketing and outreach efforts for a transaction ultimately consummated through a 363 sale in a Chapter 11 process. He also developed a 13-week cash flow model for board reporting, assisted the SCP team in advising the board on strategic alternatives, and supported preparations with counsel for the Chapter 11 filing in Delaware and other case matters.
- Provided financial and operational advisory services to an Assignee in support of the wind-down of an outdoor products retailer after sale by SCP team of substantially all the company’s assets to a major online seller of outdoor sports products.
- Financial advisor to an online retailer of women’s clothing. Developed a 13-week cash flow model and business plan assessment that served as the basis for a forbearance agreement with senior lender after company experienced an event of default and liquidity crunch.
- Active engagement at board level on behalf of private equity investment in nationwide amusement vending business that included management evaluation, performance improvement initiatives, capital raising, and financial modeling.
- Underwrote fund commitment in Canadian private energy fund focused on acquiring top-tier assets through complex situations requiring recapitalizations, restructuring, or repositioning; underwrote subsequent co-investment in the fund’s largest portfolio company alongside an acquisition of an oil asset involving a pre-packaged bankruptcy process of a publicly traded company.
- Tracked media production company with top-tier TV and film library through Chapter 11 bankruptcy process caused by high profile scandal involving founder; underwrote co-investment alongside a distressed private equity fund that served as stalking horse bidder and eventual acquirer; completed the co-investment almost one-year post-emergence from bankruptcy with visibility on management, business plan, and library cash flow attributes.