John Halloran, a Director out of New York at SierraConstellation Partners, provides financial and operational advisory services to underperforming companies and companies in transition. To this role, he brings more than seven years of professional experience across management consulting and private equity, including relevant activities such as financial and operational restructuring, performance improvement, capital raising, management evaluation, financial modeling, and analysis of private equity investments.
Prior to joining SCP, John was an Associate on the investment team at Omaha Beach Capital (“OBC”), an emerging fund manager focused on investments in the private equity industry. At OBC, John supported all aspects of managing private equity investment vehicles, with a focus on investment underwriting across leveraged buyout, growth equity, venture capital, and real asset opportunities. While at OBC, John also supported the board of directors of a portfolio company on a variety of financial and operational improvement initiatives to protect and enhance value during a period of financial distress.
John began his career as a Senior Consultant with Booz Allen Hamilton’s Strategic Innovation Group. At Booz Allen, John served as a management consultant on projects related to the firm’s data science offering, including for clients dealing with financial information. He also participated in business development activities with commercial and government clients.
John holds a B.S. and M.S. degree in Political Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. John has earned the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation and is a member of the Turnaround Management Association and the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors.
Relevant Industry Expertise
Aerospace & Defense
Energy, Power & Infrastructure
Entertainment & Media
Industrials & Manufacturing
Technology & Telecom
- Chief Restructuring Officer and Liquidating Trustee Support to a wholesale distributor of beer, wine, spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages where he facilitated extensive transaction diligence for its acquisition by one of the world’s largest brewing companies and assisted the Liquidating Trustee in managing the satisfaction of all company obligations during its wind down post-close.
- Financial advisor to a clinical stage (pre-revenue), publicly traded biopharmaceutical company where he conducted extensive marketing and outreach efforts for a transaction ultimately consummated through a 363 sale in a Chapter 11 process. He also developed a 13-week cash flow model for board reporting, assisted the SCP team in advising the board on strategic alternatives, and supported preparations with counsel for the Chapter 11 filing in Delaware and other case matters.
- Provided financial and operational advisory services to an Assignee in support of the wind-down of an outdoor products retailer after sale by SCP team of substantially all the company’s assets to a major online seller of outdoor sports products.
- Financial advisor to an online retailer of women’s clothing. Developed a 13-week cash flow model and business plan assessment that served as the basis for a forbearance agreement with senior lender after company experienced an event of default and liquidity crunch.
- Underwrote co-investment alongside middle-market private equity firm into manufacturer of electronic components serving the communications and defense sector; evaluated outlook for relevant products based on defense budgets, prospective price increase capacity based on competitive dynamics, and potential realization of cost synergies post-close.
- Active engagement at board level on behalf of private equity investment in nationwide amusement vending business that included management evaluation, performance improvement initiatives, capital raising, and financial modeling.
- Underwrote fund commitment in Canadian private energy fund focused on acquiring top-tier assets through complex situations requiring recapitalizations, restructuring, or repositioning; underwrote subsequent co-investment in the fund’s largest portfolio company alongside an acquisition of an oil asset involving a pre-packaged bankruptcy process of a publicly traded company.
- Underwrote fund commitment in healthcare private equity fund with sponsor undergoing organizational transition from generalist to sector specialist strategy; completed independent valuation of existing portfolio assets including assessment of planned performance improvement initiatives and projected near-term sale outcome of the initial portfolio asset.
- Tracked media production company with top-tier TV and film library through Chapter 11 bankruptcy process caused by high profile scandal involving founder; underwrote co-investment alongside a distressed private equity fund that served as stalking horse bidder and eventual acquirer; completed the co-investment almost one-year post-emergence from bankruptcy with visibility on management, business plan, and library cash flow attributes.