John Halloran, a Director out of New York at SierraConstellation Partners, provides financial and operational advisory services to companies in transition. He has extensive experience across management consulting and private equity investing roles, including activities such as financial and operational restructuring, performance improvement initiatives, capital raising, management evaluation, financial modeling, and underwriting of private market investment opportunities.
Prior to joining SCP, John was an Associate on the investment team at Omaha Beach Capital (“OBC”), an emerging fund manager focused on minority investments in the private equity industry. At OBC, John supported all aspects of managing private equity investment vehicles and underwrote seasoned primary / secondary commitments and co-investments across leveraged buyout, growth equity, venture capital, and real asset investment strategies. During a two-year period while at OBC, John also supported the board of directors of a portfolio company and partnered with the senior management team on a variety of financial and operational initiatives to protect and enhance value during a period of distress while OBC held an equity interest and board seat.
Before OBC, John was a Senior Consultant with Booz Allen Hamilton’s Strategic Innovation Group. At Booz Allen, John served as a generalist management consultant on projects related to the firm’s data science offering. John’s client work included the Departments of Treasury and Homeland Security. He also participated in business development with commercial and government clients and managed a team of summer interns during a project with a consumer beverage company.
John completed a B.S. and M.S. degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Political Science. John has also earned the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation and is an active member of CFA Society New York and the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA).
- Underwrote co-investment alongside middle-market private equity firm into manufacturer of electronic components serving the communications and defense sector; evaluated outlook for relevant products based on defense budgets, prospective price increase capacity based on competitive dynamics, and potential realization of cost synergies post-close.
- Active engagement at board level on behalf of direct equity investment in nationwide amusement vending business as a minority investor in a fundless sponsor transaction.
- Led distribution sales analysis for Virginia-based craft brewing company with team of interns.
- Underwrote fund commitment in Canadian private energy fund focused on acquiring top-tier assets through complex situations requiring recapitalizations, restructuring, or repositioning; underwrote subsequent co-investment in the fund’s largest portfolio company alongside an acquisition of an oil asset involving a pre-packaged bankruptcy process of a publicly traded company.
- Underwrote fund commitment in healthcare private equity fund with sponsor undergoing organizational transition from generalist to sector specialist strategy; completed independent valuation of existing portfolio assets including assessment of planned performance improvement initiatives and projected near-term sale outcome of the initial portfolio asset.
- Tracked media production company with top-tier TV and film library through Chapter 11 bankruptcy process caused by high profile scandal involving founder; underwrote co-investment alongside a distressed private equity fund that served as stalking horse bidder and eventual acquirer; completed the co-investment almost one-year post-emergence from bankruptcy with visibility on management, business plan, and library cash flow attributes.